Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Allusion


I write love poems
because I’m selfish.

I give you flesh
in broken words and phrases
so in the white spaces
I might possess you.
I capture you between words
and sentences laying you down
in lines.

I place a comma
so you might breathe
and come to life
for me.
I place a full-stop
now here, now there,
almost carelessly,
so you might cease
and listen
to me.
I give you thoughts
in words and words from thoughts
so you might agree.

I give you a face
in a verse.
I make you smile
or perhaps flood you
in a trail of letters
swimming down your cheek
to believe
they are yours to give.

(But if I dare be honest,
they are only mine.)

Two symmetrical phrases
slide down to become hands
as I caress them
under the sharpness of my pen;
they come alive
in slow dancing movements
to form an embrace
in a complete sentence.

I wish to give you wings...
But then I’d better not.

I write love poems
because I’m selfish.
so that I might possess you
and grant you the gift of eternity.
But within the folds
of my pages
you will be lost one day,
to be smudged
burnt and buried.
You too!
You intangible one.

Yet I have sat down to conjure
lifeless words,
sentences, verses, scattering
commas and full-stops
across barren sheets
to resurrect you;
so that I can play God
and grant you justice
for your indifference
and hate.

I write love poems
so that you might love
me.

4 comments: